Cnr High Street & President Boshoff Street, Bethlehem, Free State, South Africa
Sunday Service and Sunday School at 9:00am
Rev Cecil Rhodes 062 1230 640

Monday, May 25, 2015

The Trinity

Most of my life I have tried to understand the Trinity with my mind. Over the years I have read many explanations of the Trinity, and out of these I have formed an understanding of what I believe. In the last while, I would say the last 10 to 15 years, I have slowly begun to unlearn these understandings. ‘Unlearning’, I am coming to understand is a huge part of our spiritual growth! Now, instead of formulating my Trinitarian beliefs with my mind, I am learning to experience them with my heart. And a whole new world is opening up. I am experiencing (feeling) this Godhead bond of intimate love and unity in my life. And it is in a whole kind of way – in the way I think, and in the way I behave. It is like there is an influence that pervades me and shapes me, and is making me who I am. We can get carried away with this, and why not. It is like Paul’s description of love in Ephesians 3, where he writes that we should take in the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love, “Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! (The Message Version). This Trinitarian Godhead is very beautiful! Once entered into with our heart (our whole lives) we can begin to see the world in a completely new light. We are joined in this wonderful unexplainable bond of love with the Godhead – connected to all of God’s creation, the wind and the skies, the seas and the stars, all created beings, and with common humanity, beginning at home and spreading to whoever we meet. It is so all pervading it is almost scary. It is so life giving one almost wants to shy away from it to hold onto our tried and trusted ways of life. It is the Christmas and Easter messages all wrapped up in one, the gospel story powerfully told though different eyes. That we are a part of this Godhead, immersed in God and God’s love, us too one with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, in bonds of love that cannot be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment